Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Playdough

When I was little I loved playing with playdough. I still do. There is still something comforting about rolling out shapes, making cups or bowls, or animals with it. Playdough sculptures are short-lived, the minute you finish one masterpiece it's time to squish it all together and start over. Playdough doesn't last. All of us can remember the sadness of leaving a masterpiece out too long, only to find our snake or duck or tree dried out and brittle. At our house we love making playdough and a fresh ziploc bag of purple playdough was what I brought in my box today.

As I showed it to the children and started kneading it in may hands, I talked about two stories the playdough brought to mind. The first was of Jeremiah, who was sent by God to observe a potter working at his wheel with clay. The potter was making a cup or a bowl, but somehow it was spoiled, so he mashed it and molded it and reworked it into another one, this one strong and fine and ready for use. The second was when God created the earth, and formed man from dust or clay on the ground.

I think, if playdough had been around in Biblical times, the prophets might have talked about it. While I like the idea of being a strong, finished vessel of clay, a beautiful cup that is filled with the Holy Spirit, I think I am more a work in progress, like a squishy playdough ball. God is constantly molding me into what I am supposed to be at the moment.

What is God creating of you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment