Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Weighty Matters

My box was very heavy this morning, as it had a large dumbbell in it. I try to make exercise part of my daily routine. I am not at all a morning person, but I know that if I force myself out of bed and into the gym before going to work, my day just turns out better. And once you are in the habit of daily exercise, you do miss it on the days you skip.

Just as we model healthful behavior and exercise for our children, we should also be modeling regular prayer habits. Setting aside time to spend with God in prayer should be part of our daily routine. It allows us time to share our hopes and fears, the joy and sadness in our lives. And just as any physical exercise, such as running, yoga, tennis, gets easier the more we do it, so does prayer. The more we practice being still in God's presence and sharing our hearts with God, the more natural this time becomes. Perhaps our new mantra for prayer should be. . . Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment